On this site, you can review a variety of "health and welfare" plus other benefits offered to you as a result of your employment at UGA! View summaries and detailed information about the various insurance plans offered by the University System of Georgia (USG), allowing you to select options best suited for your needs and those of your eligible dependents. Choose from the list at left to learn more.
New hires are encouraged to attend one of the benefits overview sessions, held twice a month, prior to making benefits choices.
If you wish to enroll in University System benefits, you must do so within 30 days
of your employment date using the MyBenefits enrollment system (see below for guides to the MyBenefits System). If you do not enroll during this
period, some plans require that you wait until the annual open enrollment period,
unless you experience an IRS-approved life event change.
- New employees should get the MyBenefits@UGA guide for new employees and follow the instructions to enroll.
- Current employees who wish to make coverage changes due to life events should print the MyBenefits@UGA Change Guide and follow the instructions.
New-hire benefits coverage start dates:
For hire dates through June 30, 2017
On hire dateIF
First day of month after hire dateIF
Hire date = April 1
For hire dates on or after July 1, 2017
On hire date IF
First day of month after hire date IF
For all hire dates
January 1 of the following calendar year IF
Newly-hired ACADEMIC CONTRACT FACULTY ONLY: Benefits coverage will begin on the first day of the contract IF the faculty member enrolls on or before the contract date. If the contract faculty member enrolls after his/her contract start date, benefits will start on the first day of the month following enrollment.
- Employees who work a minimum of 75% time in one or more "regular" positions are eligible for all health and welfare benefits listed below.
- Employees who work at least 50% but less than 75% time in one or more "regular" positions are eligible for retirement and leave benefits.
- Employees who work in "temporary" positions (any % time) are not eligible for health and welfare benefits or leave accrual.
Health & welfare benefits:
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Dental insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
- Short-term disability insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Vision insurance
- Accident insurance
- Critical illness insurance
- Hospital indemnity insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Health savings accounts (high deductible health plan participants only)
- LegalEase Legal Plan
- Leave accrual
Other benefits and services:
- Shared Leave program
- UGA-affiliated child care
- Services for domestic partners
- Discounts for UGA employees
- Benefits overview sessions for new faculty and staff
- Benefits "snapshot" for prospective faculty and staff
- General UGA services and activities
- Employee liability insurance