Voluntary plan life changes
(Allows enrollment or adding dependents outside the enrollment period)
Certain qualifying life-change events allow a voluntary plan-covered student to enroll him/herself outside of an enrollment period. Students can also add dependent coverage after the close of the enrollment period for certain qualifying events.
Coverage under the voluntary student health insurance plan can be added for the following qualifying events:
- Loss of coverage or eligibility on another plan – includes both student or dependent coverage
- Marital status
- Birth or adoption of a child – add a new dependent child
- Guardianship appointment – add a new dependent child
- Arrival of a spouse or dependents in the country – add spouse and/or dependents within 30 days of arrival in U.S.A.
Students must elect enrollment within 30 days of the qualifying life event. Coverage can be added for the remainder of the current coverage period elected. A prorated premium for the coverage period elected is due in full at the time of enrollment.
To enroll, students must complete and provide the following within 30 days of the qualifying life event date:
- Qualifying Life Event Request Form and Enrollment Form
- Required Supporting Documentation confirming a life event has occurred
The Qualifying Life Event Request Form, Enrollment Form and supporting documentation must be submitted to UGA Human Resources for review and approval prior to submitting the forms and premium payment to the insurance company.