University of Georgia Human Resources Logo
215 S. Jackson St.
Athens, GA 30602
Tel (706) 542-2222


Eligibility for coverage for your spouse under the health and other benefit plans terminates as of the date of divorce. However, your spouse may elect to continue health and/or dental care coverage by purchasing coverage under COBRA for up to 36 months.

If you are covered under one of the health or dental plans sponsored by the University System of Georgia (USG), you or your spouse must notify the Office of Employee Benefits within 31 days of the date of the final divorce decree to drop coverage on your former spouse so that:

  • Your spouse will be eligible to obtain COBRA continuation coverage and
  • You will not continue to pay a premium for spouse coverage

When coverage ends and premiums change

The change you make will become effective the first day of the month following the date of divorce as long as the timeframes described above are met. Failure to notify the Office of Employee Benefits within the timeframes will result in coverage being terminated for the ineligible former spouse the first day of the month following the divorce, but premiums will not change until the first month following receipt of your request through MyBenefits@UGA and receipt of your required documentation by UGA Human Resources. (Current employees who wish to make coverage changes due to life events should print the MyBenefits@UGA Change Guide and follow the instructions.)

What you need to do

Send an email to within 31 days of the date of the divorce so you will not continue to pay premiums for this coverage. Be sure to include in the email:

  • Your name
  • The life event (divorce)
  • Date of life event
  • The name of the former spouse (read below regarding children)

In addition:

  • You must also provide a copy of the signed pages of the divorce decree verifying the parties involved and the date of divorce. UGA Human Resources will contact you concerning your request and required documentation.
  • A qualified medical child support order (QMCSO) or a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) could have an effect on your benefit coverage or elections. Please notify the Office of Employee Benefits if you become aware of an order like this as part of divorce proceedings.
  • Your former spouse should review the university’s COBRA information and enroll in coverage within the specified guidelines, if he/she would like to continue coverage under the plans. The spouse should complete and submit the health COBRA form and/or the dental COBRA form in order to continue coverage.

Other benefits to consider

As a result of your divorce, you may also be able to make changes to some of your other benefits. Contact Employee Benefits for information about the following:

  • Spouse or dependent life insurance coverage
  • Beneficiary designations
  • Medical and dependent flexible spending accounts
  • Tax withholding

If you have any questions about your benefit options, please contact Employee Benefits at
706-542-2222 or e-mail