Mandatory Plan life changes
(Allows enrollment or adding dependents outside the enrollment period)
Certain qualifying life change events allow a mandated student to enroll him/herself outside of an enrollment period, even if the student originally waived coverage. Students can also add dependent coverage after the close of the enrollment period for certain qualifying events.
- If you enroll after the enrollment period due to a life event, you must pay a prorated premium immediately (to United Healthcare Student Resources) in order to be covered.
- Students eligible for the UGA contribution who enroll after the enrollment period due to a life event, will not receive the UGA premium contribution for that coverage period.
Coverage under the mandatory student health insurance plan can be added for the following qualifying events:
- Loss of coverage or eligibility on another plan – includes both student or dependent coverage
- Marriage – add a newly eligible spouse
- Birth or adoption of a child – add a new dependent child
- Guardianship appointment – add a new dependent child
- Arrival of a spouse or dependents in the country – add spouse and/or dependents within 30 days of arrival in U.S.A.
Students must elect enrollment within 30 days of the qualifying life event. Coverage
can be added for the remainder of the current coverage period. A prorated premium
will be due at the time of enrollment.
To enroll, students must complete the (1) Qualifying Event Enrollment Form and provide (2) the required documentation within 30 days of the qualifying event.
Qualifying Event - Enrollment Form
Qualifying Event - Required Documentation
The enrollment form and documentation should be mailed to UGA Human Resources for review. If enrollment is approved, United Healthcare will send a payment link to the student’s UGA email address. Students can access the payment link to make payment for the coverage.