Mandatory Plan (Hard Waiver Plan) life changes
(Allows enrollment or adding dependents outside the enrollment period)
Certain qualifying life change events allow a mandated student to enroll him/herself outside of an enrollment period, even if the student originally waived coverage. Students can also add dependent coverage after the close of the enrollment period for certain qualifying events.
- If you enroll after the enrollment period due to a life event, you must pay a prorated premium immediately (to United Healthcare Student Resources) in order to be covered.
- Students eligible for the UGA premium subsidy who enroll after the enrollment period due to a life event, will not receive the UGA premium subsidy for that coverage period.
Coverage under the mandatory student health insurance plan can be added for the following qualifying events:
- Loss of coverage or eligibility on another plan – includes both student or dependent coverage
- Marital status
- Birth or adoption of a child – add a new dependent child
- Guardianship appointment – add a new dependent child
- Arrival of a spouse or dependents in the country – add spouse and/or dependents within 30 days of arrival in U.S.A.
Students must elect enrollment within 30 days of the qualifying life event. Coverage can be added for the remainder of the current coverage period. A prorated premium will be due at the time of enrollment.
To enroll, students must complete the required forms and provide the required documentation within 30 days of the qualifying life event.
- Qualifying Life Event Request Form and Enrollment Form
- Required Supporting Documentation confirming a life event has occurred
The Qualifying Life Event Request Form, Enrollment Form and supporting documentation
must be submitted to UGA Human Resources for review and approval prior to submitting
the forms and premium payment to the insurance company.